Monday, May 26, 2008

Heat. Speech Contest. Sports Day.


The last 7 days has seen a rapid increase in the humidity levels. It dawned on me when I was peddling into my second 10 minute stint on the exercise bike. I had already worked my way through one towel, and was in need of another. It caught me off guard. The next day, I stupidly wore jeans to work. I had just turned the corner of Oryudong High Street, on my way to work, when I realised I was going to be seeping sweat for the next 20 minutes.

Saturday arrived and the hottest day of the year arrived at the same time. It was 28 Degrees and not a 'little white fluffy cloud' anywhere in sight. We had a sports day at school. All the parents turned up in their team colors and the games began. It was an fantastic event. One of the highlights of my time here. It was breath-taking at times to see the passion in the parents faces. The kids were having fun, but not anywhere near as much as the oldies were. Tug-of-War, relay, three legged races, sprints, 15 legged races - numerous little battles with balloon popping, kiddy pushing. Press up endurance, dance offs - so many more I struggle to conjure them all up. The MC seemed to be thriving in her active role. She was bouncing around the dusty Elementary school courtyard from the get-go. 9:00 till 4:30 saw my forehead get a little rosey and my calf muscles a little tighter, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable day. Great to meet some of the parents on such a day. It was ended in great fashion. All the kids and parents had written wishes on a slip of paper, attached to a helium induced balloon, the countdown began and then they were released into the cloudless blue sky.

Whilst we were all in the summer heat, Glen, a ten year old Korean chappy was carrying out his speech in a contest across town. Just 9 days before I was asked to write a 3-minute speech for him. Below is what I wrote. Anthony Teacher did the artwork. Erin Teacher supplied the vocals for the CD recording. Christine Teacher guided Glen through numerous read-offs, leading up to his performance. On Saturday, as we were packing up the sporting left-overs, his mother, who is the school receptionist, received a call to announce he had come 2nd..... GREAT result......

A year of happiness

What does the year hold for you? As every New Year turns, new challenges, new goals and new adventures are within our grasp. As the cold and frosty winds of January and February blow by and we pack away our hats and gloves, the warmer fronts of March, April and May bring joy and happiness. Cherry blossoms take their stance on the trees, around the hills, valleys and mountains. The colors of pink, purple and white inspire artists and photographers to explore the beauty.

The Kindergartens, elementary and middle schools, high schools and universities change from the winter sweater to the spring shirt in time for the rise in heat. The water cooler becomes a place of rest, a moment to cool down and refresh. Children’s day and Teachers Day pass with many smiles, gifts and joyful messages. The feeling of love and care brings everyone together at a time of giving and sharing.

June, July and August arrive. The humid weather reaches its high and bows down on the nation. As the changma season of June and July swarms across the countryside, a sea of umbrellas rise above our heads, stopping the rain from soaking us through. As we reach and pass the middle months, it’s time to prepare for the festive season of September.

Chuseok is time for families and loved ones to come together. We depart from our cities in a wave and head to our homelands. We share food, presents and stories. We laugh, we smile, we hug, and we remember our loved ones. It’s a time for happiness and joy.

As the cold winds re-enter our daily routines, our walks, our journeys, our trips to the market, it’s time to cover up and brace for the winter months. The year has been a good one. I have smiled, I have laughed, I have taught, I have learnt. I’m now one year older and one year wiser. What does the next year hold for me? More happiness and joy? I hope so.


Alice hitting the second hurdle!!

The Fathers striding!!

Smiling Angela!!

Wishes!!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Toby Teacher
    Why are you wearing long sleeves on Sports Day? Surely you must have wanted to have bare arms in the hot weather. Oh ...I remember now!
    Love
    wiz x

    ReplyDelete