Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bits and Pieces. Including an extract from Leena.


Photo of Soju Man at Gyeongju Station.

Hello. How are you? I'm fine thanks and you. Good Morning Robin, Good Morning Angela. Good Morning Jinny, Good Morning Erin Teacher, Good Morning. Good Morning. Good Morning Christine Teacher. (Nod, Bow, Bow Nod). Thank Mother, thank you Father, thank you Teachers, enjoy your snack. OK, hurry up and eat. Please get out your blue books. Student book time. Teacher, Homework stickers. Teacher, Weekly Phrase. Yes Angela. Yes Robin.

This is my morning. Every morning. Monday to Friday. It has become a poetic pattern of certainty every morning. It's beautiful in the same way that two buses come along at the same time. It's melodic. It has rhythm. It has soul. Most importantly I wouldn't change it for anything. I look forward to walking through the door at 9:15 and waiting for the chorus to begin. It's like a walk in the jungle. One bird starts to sing, then they all come swinging from trees, crawling out of the woodwork, singing in perfect formation. I smile and the day begins.

I had a conversation with Leena a couple of days ago that i thought was worthy of a mention. My relationship with this class is rising to new levels. They have become my insiders to Korean culture, from the perspective of a 10-12 year old girl. I ask them advice about stuff. They advise me on how I should dress. How and exactly when I should cut my hair. They even comment on the status of my eyes, and I quote;
"Your eyes look like you bored"
"Your eyes look like they're on spring and fall out of face" (they drew image to support)
"Your eyes look sleepy"
"Your eyes are crazy"
So the conversation with Leena went exactly like this. I have started to dictate our conversations on the spot to ensure 100% clarity.

Toby Teacher: Leena, I need your help. I'm going on a date tonight.
Leena: With a Korean girl??
Toby Teacher: Yes. Do you think I should pay for dinner?
Leena: Yes, because many men always go dinner.
Toby Teacher: Why shouldn't she pay?
Leena: You like her? Maybe you like her. Because you go to dinner to her. She is very, she will like you. Many men thinks, if you pay. My father too.
Toby Teacher: Shall I buy her a present?
Leena: Yeah.
Toby Teacher: What?
Leena: Ring? Necklace? marry ring.
Toby Teacher: What should I ask her?
Leena: Do you like me?
Toby Teacher: Should I kiss her??
Leena: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you're only meeting first time. (shake of the head to symbolise disapproval)
Toby Teacher: Should I tell her she's beautiful?
Leena: Yes, say you're a beautiful women.
Toby Teacher: OK, Thanks Leena. Have you finished your work?
Leena: NO teacher. You talking to me.
Toby Teacher: Sorry Leena.

Last weekend it was Gyeongju with my Dad and Step Mother. This weekend it's Busan with a truck load, or should I say train load, of friendly teachers. Below are a few choice pictures from Gyeongju.








2 comments:

  1. Great pics, I must have taught you well!!
    Beautiful blog this, one of your best. Your enthusiasm for daily work is inspiring and Leena's advise is pretty good.
    Just off to Prague now to drive back to London - enjoy it but maybe not quite with the verve you show.
    lol Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Toby Teacher
    Your writing has become positively poetic. Great piece this one. It even looks like you read through it before posting as there are hardly any typos!
    It's great to know you are so happy and fulfilled.
    love
    wiz x

    ReplyDelete