Monday, November 05, 2007

25 Now, so no excuse!!

My birthday has been and gone.

OK, so my Dad rung me on Wednesday morning and said he was in Dubai and on his way to Seoul. I had just woken up so my immediate thought was how random that Dad has got some work in Seoul...... he was of course coming to surprise me for my birthday. Quality.
So Wednesday evening started off in true experimental fashion with a trip to a new restaurant in a new part of town. I didn't have any reason to judge the place as it looked like any other that I had been in to date. We ordered some Galbi (which is BBQ'ed meat), a few chopping sounds later our dish was carried out in regular fashion by the smiling Korean mummy waitress. What followed was usually a moment when one would reach for their camera and in retrospect which they had..... However this was something that I didn't expect and took me by shock, therefore forgetting to utilise my camera. It was a plate of fresh octopus. It had been chopped just seconds ago and still had life in it. Enough life for it to move itself around the plate and onto the table. Not being a fan of seafood I quickly reassured myself and Dad that we wouldn't be eating this, and Dad strongly agreed (to my relief).... we paid for our beer and moved on.
Friday night followed two nights later. Here we went into Itaweon. Dad and I were sipping beers in a 'would you like to chat with some girls' type bar. We didn't. I then had a call from two friends from London. They were passing through on their way back to London, from Sydney. They joined Dad and I on a drinking adventure throughout the night and into the early hours. A night to remember.....
Then Saturday, which quickly followed Friday, arrived. It was time for my actual birthday. Still feeling the effects of the night before Dad and I found ourselves doing some shopping and then very quickly I was saying my goodbyes to Dad and then hellos to my second entourage of birthday goers. We hit the food part of Gangnam and then someone, ingeniously, suggested that we went to Hooters. It was fun. I was made to stand on my chair and sing “la, la, la, it’s my birthday” whilst 6 female hooters gyrated around me.

Then our final stop of the night. A club called 'Club Spot'. A great DJ, a great club and great company. The club had a swimming pool and many levels and crevices to explore. At the end of the night, the dance floor was cleared and then the Korean woman began a dance off, which carried a Korean twist. The woman proceeded to remove most of their clothes, not all of them, but enough to make you think "what kind of place is this?"..... But it wasn't like that. I think it's maybe just a simple reflection of cultural differences!! I happily accepted the difference and went on about my evening....
Thanks to everyone involved with my birthday. That includes the great surprise packages from home including this beautiful 125th anniversary Spurs shirt, 180 PG Tips tea bags! and MARMITE..... Oh and an xmas hamper, which I'm going to wait to open... despite the burning temptation in my mind to do so now!

Picture above of package



No comments:

Post a Comment