Tuesday, June 17, 2008

ENGLAND

I must apologise for the slight delay in proceedings. I’m sure you have been waiting with baited breath at my next lexical instalment on life in Korea. The excuse is that so much has happened and that I’ve had some many cunning, enthusiastic ideas, that I have struggled to conjure up the courage to begin the unwinding of it all, onto the keyboard. I cleaned my keyboard last week in pure disgust at the state that it had become, but once I had done so, I then decided that I would let it breath and thrive in its new found happiness for a few days, in the same fashion as one does with an old favourite album. Therefore delaying my latest blog even further.

I’m here now though. So, I have been counting down to my three week adventure back to the UK. I’m currently 37 days away from the 13-15 hour flight. I have been trying to work out what to do, when, where and with whom. I’ve been hesitant to make actual concrete plans, but I soon realised that life would be that little easier if I did. I had flirted outrageously with the idea of a couple of days away in Europe. I first thought that a beach style resort might be what I needed/fancied. I then thought that a bit of European city life might float my boat. After too-ing and throw-ing with a number of options I’ve decided that staying in and around my creature comforts is EXACTLY what I want, need and am REALLY looking forward to.

Other things that have been occupying my mind are finding a new apartment and finding a substitute teacher for my three week vacation. My journey of the new apartment for year two was relatively quick and painless. I had acquired the help of a local Korean friend. She guided me into a local Estate Agency, gave them my wish list and off they went, making phone calls, sending emails and doing things in order to help me with my cause. Two days later I viewed my new home. It comes in the style of an old Korean house. I have no idea how to describe it to you, because I was only in there for around 45 seconds, as the Korean couple in there seemed to be busy doing eating type activities. However, I can say that I have TWO rooms, a kitchen, bathroom, small laundry-esc balcony and a very quiet entourage of tight alleys and walkways surrounding my front door. It’s perched nicely on a small hill and sits about 60 metres back from the 8-lane high street that makes Oryudong tick, pretty much 24/7. Photos will follow, shortly after the 16th July. This is the moving date.

Finding a substitute teacher wasn’t easy in the slightest. I had begun to panic. I HAD to find someone – I needn’t say anymore. So, off I went, making phone calls, sending emails and doing things in order to help me with my cause. It was painful. SO, many people saying “Would love to, but not for that money” – “I have already found my summer job” – “I’m not a native speaker, is that a problem?” (Yes, it is)…..

Then, Cometh the hour, cometh the (wo)man. Her name is Cindy Wilkins and she is joining the Kids Herald Team in replace of yours truly. She’s my new best friend.

I have taken up a couple of hobbies in Korea. One is learning the language. It’s a slow, but thoroughly exciting, challenge. I picked up the alphabet whilst in China for 5 days. I have now taken up learning all sorts of essential, day to day, phrases. It’s hugely satisfying when you can read words, sentences etc and know what it means. I NEVER thought I would ever be capable of reading, understanding, practicing and above all, executing the Korean language. I’m not counting any chickens yet, my level is still stupidly and pathetically low, but I know the kind of person I am, and I’m doing VERY well…. Haha. See you soon!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment