Sunday, March 30, 2008

Something New - Teacher Bio:


I’m going to start a new feature on my blog. It’s titled Teacher Bio.
First up is Patrick Duce.

Patrick Duce:

Age: The right side of 25.
Height: A little bit too tall. The kind of height that makes you feel like a shorty.
Nationality: British
Home Town: Lincoln
Favorite Food: Meat
Favorite Drink: Beer

How did we meet?

Patrick and I were introduced to each other on my first night in South Korea. It also happened to be his birthday. I landed, was picked up by my boss, taken to my apartment, then jumped into a taxi and made my way to Itaewon. There were around 20 people celebrating two peoples birthday. I joined Chris, Patrick, and Haji at their table. Later that evening I discovered that Patrick was a fellow Tottenham fan, it was instant friendship from that moment on.

What is he like? (briefly)

Patrick spent around 6 months travelling Asia before descending upon South Korea for a years teaching. He lives quite far away from me, therefore we meet at weekends in central Seoul. In my first 5 months or so we would meet pretty much every weekend. Itaewon or Hongdae were our chosen locations, both offering an abundance of places for food and drink. Patrick is a very tall fun loving guy. A very sociable character that can embrace any soul into a conversation, which is his most likable attribute. He likes a drink. Some would say that he is always the last man standing. There have been many occasions where I have been ready to go home, but having a strong character beside you allows you to reach new levels of drunkenness. He likes to take a good picture, he knows how to take a good picture. I think he loves his Apple Mac more than he loves his bank balance.

Funny Story:

Pat, Chris and I spent a day walking around Yongsan Electronics market. Patrick was out to spend a lot of money on an Apple Mac laptop. He knew what he wanted and he knew where to find it – bish-bash-bosh – it was in his hands. Chris left to meet his lady friend and Pat and I hit Itaewon for a few celebratory drinks to welcome his Apple Mac to society. Many many drinks later we decided enough was enough. We left the bar and started to walk down hooker hill. Hooker Hill is probably the most repulsive street in South Korea, maybe even Asia. Pat stopped briefly to roll a cigarette. Once completed we walked on for 50 metres of so, suddenly Pat turned to me and said “Where the fuck is my laptop?” – He’d only gone and left it on a step half way up hooker hill. He ran back up the hill to discover it was still there!! Imagine having just spent well over £1,000 to lose it 3 hours later. He then demanded that I slapped him across the face and to call him something unpleasant. I did so and we walked on. Image is of Pat and Apple Mac selling man.

Most memorable moment with Pat:

Without any consideration or deliberation it has to be the Carling Cup Final. There is nothing like a goof football match to bring people together. Beating Chelsea, lifting the cup and all the emotions that comes with such an occasion will live long in the memory. Image is defining moment in the final.

Grandest joint achievement:

A rainy summer day. We had made plans to hit a music festival outside of Seoul. Once we had reached Itaewon, which is where we were set to catch the bus, we decided that a music festival in the monsoon-ing rain wasn’t the ideal way to spend a Saturday. It was midday and we thought that a beer and a game of pool would be a good location to rearrange our plans. Thirteen hours and countless games of pool later Pat and I found ourselves in the same bar and at the same pool table. The achievement in all this was our stint at the pool table. In Seoul Pub it’s always winner stays on. Pat and I ruled the rooster for around 7 hours straight. People came, people went, but we remained victorious and proud. Our grandest joint achievement. Image is of Pat winning pool and darts at the same time, in Seoul Pub.

What does the future hold?

Patrick has just 8 weeks to go on his contract. He will be returning to London to follow some other dreams. I’m guessing a summer of reunions. Pat’s presence in Seoul will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment