Thursday, March 13, 2008

The man that diced with pride - and more


This set of stairs reminds me of a rather amusing story. One chilly Saturday afternoon I was making my way back from a day of meandering. An guy, in his 50's I would say, was making his way up the stairs. The stairs are split into 3 levels of around 20 steps. He was staggering his way up the first level, just about to hit the rest point. However, he had been, quite clearly, drinking a lot of Soju. He started to fall back, balancing on his one foot. He was destined to fall back on his head and maybe roll down a few steps before stalling in a heap. Miraculously he managed to pivot on his one foot and then run down the 18/17 steps he had just walked up. His momentum meant he had to jump 2/3 steps at a time. His momentum picked up even more so as he flew down. As you can see in the image there is a rather delicious looking fruit stool at the base of the mountain. Unfortunately the story would have been SO much better if he had plunged into the neatly stacked oranges and grapes. Again, rather miraculously, he managed to come to a tip-toed stop at the foot of the pears and apples. His final move was reminiscent of a man on a tight-rope. I gave him 50/50, it was either going to be the fruit or safe land. When his ordeal came to an end, he simply turned around and started his climb up the 60 or so steps once again. This time without any hitches.

I'm not sure if I mentioned 'White Day' to you all before.
Basically White Day falls on the 14th March. It makes up one part of a love trilogy. The first part falls on the 14th of February and is commonly known as valentines day. The second is White day and the third and final installment is called Black Day.
Valentines Day is slightly different here. The women purchase gifts for the men.
White Day is the mens turn to cater for the females.
Black Day is for the unloved. As punishment for their lonely lives they're required to eat a Chinese dish, that is predominately black. I think it's all a bit tongue in cheek, but some people take it seriously.
Tomorrow is White Day. Hence the over sized 'White' cuddly bear. I didn't buy it, in case you were wondering.

I can't recall how much I have divulged about the Korean subway system. I'll hit you with some hard simple facts.
It has a higher ceiling than the London Underground. It has air conditioning for the summer and heated seats for the winter. It costs about 50p for a journey - standard. It very rarely stops in-between stops. Umm, I'm an a commodity when I'm on it. It's classic, when I get on at my stop, It is like a big naked man has just walked on selling watches the size of baseball gloves. What I'm trying to say is, everyone looks at me.
One story. Giovanna, Anthony and I were waiting at Oryudong station. The train pulled up and it was looking very sparse. I commented to my fellow English teachers that this is as empty as it has been at this time of day, ever. As the doors opened and we began to board we were flabbergasted at what was at our feet. A big sleeping man was sprawled across the door, on the floor. Another case of Soju intolerance I believe. He was motionless for a few stops. We were a little concerned that he had had his last moments on the train. As we got off the train he emerged from his hole and rose up like an extra from 'Resident Evil' (A zombie movie for those at the frowning stage). I'm kind of glad we got off when we did. Who knows what happened in that carriage as the train pulled away.

Finally, here she is again. The awesome Sarah. When she starts smiling it's contagious. Her nose is so funny. It is like her parents forgot to give her a nose and at the last minute, went to the 'nose shop' and found the smallest, roundest and softest nose possible.
All for now - see-the-later!

1 comment:

  1. Great blogs! Leaving your compatriot standing, what's happened to Giovanna's!?

    ReplyDelete