Thursday, February 21, 2008

Yet again, new beginnings.


Before I begin I would like to draw your attention to this image. It is being blogged as a reminder to me that hot weather does exist. I'm getting fed up with this relentlessly freezing winter in Korea. This picture was taken in Perugia, Italy, it was around 39 degrees that day. Hopefully similar temperatures aren't too far away from life here in Korea.

March is the beginning of our new semester. A lot of new things are happening. OK, so two new Korean teachers are starting and they are yet to be introduced to the Kids Herald Team, so I have little to say on them at this moment in time. I do know that one is a Korean-Canadian and has studied-worked in film for 10 years, so there will be something to immediately chat about.

Other fresh additions to the group are new kids. This is obviously the most significant addition. I will now be teaching Blue and Red class. The red, as before, are the youngest kids. They are aged 4 and there are only three of them. My blue class are my current red class moving up to their second year and they will be joined by three other kids from other schools.

Afternoon classes see a slight change. I have changed my ESL classes. I am now teaching the two classes of Kindergarten kids that are graduating tomorrow. The kids that are graduating tomorrow have been at Kids Herald for 2 or 3 years and are now moving up in the world. They go to BIG elementary school, in the real schooling world, in the mornings and then come to us again in the afternoon for ESL classes.

Tomorrows graduation day sees all the parents of the top three classes come in and see their little ones get their certificates. Partying songs, speeches, clapping sessions and gifts will be presented. The whole show will be tied together by an MC. And yes you guessed it, it is me. I had a little time to prepare this time, so I have managed to muster up a couple of one liners to get the parents in the mood. Of course none of them will understand, but that’s the point, humouring oneself is just as important as humouring others – I think!!

Wish me luck.

1 comment: