Saturday, December 15, 2007

Excuse me, can I have some Mango Chutney?


The picture has no relation to the writing below - just another image of something Korean. A flashback to my birthday, and a quick drink in South Korea's hooters.

My Canadian neighbour, Riley, took me to an Indian restaurant on Wednesday evening. To put it ever so simply, it was lovely. We had samosas, Naan bread and three meat dishes. It wasn't too spicy though, which was a shame as I was kind of hoping to sweat a little bit. The meal lasted just under an hour. It was a pretty event less hour of decent eating. One thing that did come up was the response I got from what I thought was a straight forward and fairly acceptable request.
We had polished off the three meat dishes, and I mean we were like three licking dogs working our way round the saucy dishes. We had some left over Naan. So I got the waiters attention with a simple nod. Over he came. I asked "Can I have some Mango Chutney?" I got the smelliest look I have ever had from anyone. It was as if I had asked him If he minded that I washed my feet in his mouth. Then he said "No".
It was an Indian restaurant run by a team of Indian men - but no Mango Chutney. So I decided that MC must be an English insertion to the whole Indian dining experience. For those of you who have been to India - Could you please clear this up for me. Do they have Mango Chutney in India???

No comments:

Post a Comment