Friday, January 01, 2010

2009-2010 Transition




I think I should start of with correcting my last blog. I said I was off to research into my New Years Revolutions. HAHA, obviously I meant to say resolutions. Thanks Wizzo, for pointing that one out.

Maybe, we should all up the game a touch and  embrace a little revolutionary thinking around Christmas, instead of just eating our way through quality street, nuts and various flapping game birds. Not a serious suggestion at all.

I don’t have any specifically mouth watering resolutions this year. Always seem to make some kind of promise to myself, unofficially, and then officially forget it a few weeks later. Anyone know why this whole New Years Resolution gimmick started? Heading off now to research.

OK, so New Years Resolutions all began with the Babylonians approximately 4,000 years ago. News Years Day used to be March 23rd. This date will have significant interested to my friend Rick. He loves the number 23. Add this one to the collection of coincidences Mr Politz. 

Small piece of exciting news. I have gone through this conversation with so many people, that can’t remember if I have mentioned this before, but anyway, I have signed up for another year at the school I spent two years at. Easy decision in the end. I have spent a day or two there, over the last few weeks, just to hang out, and my mind cruised its way to the decision. So, come end of February, I will make a small visa run to Japan and begin working early March. Also, my very close friend Rick, will be joining the Korean Revolution at the same time, and if all goes to plan, which it usually does in Korea, then we’ll be living together again. Coverton Road, part 2.


My News Years Eve was very tame, enjoyable, chilly (in regards to weather), and warm (in regards to company). I spent the day with a new friend Dooki. Actual name Doori, but changed the –ri- to –ki- because that’s the noise she makes when she laughs. Fairly simple stuff.

We took a little tour of some popular spots around town for some window shopping, lunch, coffee, chilly wind dodging and picture taking. As the day grew older the temperature got severely close to ruining my ability to walk, think and speak. Some people were throwing the minus 16 mark around. I can clarify, safely, that it was definitely cold. As the evening hours ticked closer we decided to start forming a plan. Food and a couple of drinks was the obvious choice, so we decided to do just that. We found a rather repulsive place in a very nice area. The picture you see below is what was left over from our sausage, mash and chip platter type dish. The dish was ruined beyond all possible sensible judgements of taste by a repulsive sauce, that can only be described as a mixture of three or four over salted, over spiced, over peppered unnameable ingredients, by a very excited novice chef, in a kitchen of no culinary experience or guidance. At a glance at this place, Gordon Ramsey would have chopped of his right arm, diced it, lightly grilled it in some olive oil, served it on a bed of sesame leaves, rocket, cherry tomatoes and a drizzle of swear words directed at anyone brave enough to associate them with this dish, I promise you!!  

We ate it all, for some reason.....???!!!!!?!?!?!

Anyway, we ate, as we had paid, and drank, because it was New Years Eve, and then left, because of the food, and headed for the nearest place that had heating and NO, sausage, chip, potato, chef, kitchen or menu in sight. At around 11:30 we joined a very small group of friends for the midnight champagne moment. We all raised our glasses, clunked them, cheered, smiled, hugged, kissed and got back to our conversations. We were all in good spirits, and more significantly, a tame mood. Nobody wanted to wake up feeling like a 20 year old freshman, so we polished off our bottle of champagne and red wine and headed our separate ways, before the clock had struck 1:45am. Good work. Maturity paid off as Kyle and I had an absolutely delightful first lunch of 2010. We sat down for a large portion of Shabu Shabu, at around 1:30pm. This entire lunch sitting was all the confirmation we needed that heading home at a sensible hour, was indeed, as mentioned, the mature thing to do. See how long that mindset lasts. 
 
The Goodbye 2009 congregation. Minus the Photographer, ME....



Hope you all celebrated New Years Eve as you wished. Much love for the year ahead. Here’s to 2010.

Happy 2010, from Doo-ki


No comments:

Post a Comment